Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sold My Coat When I Hit Spokane

There's something oddly enjoyable about seeing lightning from the top of a mountain. That's not to say that there's not also something very frightening about it if you are with a group of Trek campers, but it certainly makes you feel alive.

Yesterday on Mt. Guyot, I had a rather interesting summit day with the youth group from Granbury Church of Christ. As we were sitting on summit enjoying the view, I happened to look up and notice a very dark, menacing cloud heading towards our position. Two things about this cloud struck me as odd: 1. I had not seen it when I had looked up five minutes earlier and 2. It was coming from the east. Now, perhaps Mark Scirto could handle this better than I can, but due to my limited meteorological knowledge, I usually expect "weather" (i.e. storms) to come from the west.

With that said, we had to drop off of the ridge to the northeast. (Note: If you are ever on Mt. Guyot and have the option of descending anywhere besides the northeast ridge, please do it). I wish I had taken a picture to accurately convey just how steep the ridge that we descended was, but let's just say that I was extremely thankful to reach the bottom and not have to carry any stray limbs from my campers. All in all, we had a 11-hour round trip yesterday, and the kids from Granbury will be able to tell ever-escalating stories about their legendary descent from the treacherous slopes of Mt. Guyot. Good times all around.

In other news, Liverpool defeated South China by a score of 3-1 in the Asia Trophy competition on Tuesday. Goals for the Reds were scored by John Arne Riise, Xabi Alonso, and Daniel Agger. The tournament is hosted by the Chinese side and features English Premier League clubs Portsmouth, Fulham, and Liverpool. The Reds will meet Portsmouth in the final tomorrow.

I'll be back with more tomorrow.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

is that what we near-summitted last year?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home