Monday, March 5, 2007

Everything Under the Sun is in Tune

My good friend Mason Orr shared the following quote with me recently and it seems very applicable at this season in my life.

"When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.”--Jacob Riis

Some days you just have to go out and pound the rock.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ecclesiastes, solomon

cblair

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Justin said...

C.Blair,

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Try again.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Eclipse" - Pink Floyd. Justin, might I ask who Jacob Riis is? Too lazy to Google it.
-Ben Grant

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. - He kind of looks like Cliff from "Cheers." Maybe?
-Ben

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Ben,

Riis was a "muckraker" journalist in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He documented the lives of New York's poorer classes and brought national attention to the problems in slums.

I'm still not sure why he talked about stonecutters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home