Saturday, February 24, 2007

I Feel Emphatic About Not Being Static

I'm pretty sure that the sky outside this afternoon was one that can only be seen by those who live in locales such as Waco, Texas. I noticed that the wind had been blowing steadily all day, and I went out for a run in the early afternoon, but after walking back into the living room after taking my shower, my eyes took in a very strange sight.

It looked like I had been transported to Mars because the sky was some bizarre reddish-tint. It reminded of what the Martian surface looked like in the NASA photographs, and not that terrible Val Kilmer movie Red Planet, but perhaps my disdain for that film stems from the fact that I was on a date. Not exactly the most romantic film to go see, but then again, I was still learning. Truth be told, I still am, but I digress.

Liverpool continued their winning ways this afternoon with a 4-0 home victory over Sheffield United. Up next is a matchup with the New York Yankees of the Premiership, Manchester United. I'm pretty sure that Man U. is the 4th "Evil Empire", along with the Yankees, galaxy, and the former U.S.S.R.

I've still been thinking about Hornby's words in Fever Pitch. I'm glad that Dan also brought in the film/music aspect to the discussion. There are just some bands/films/TV shows that we have an irrational attraction to and no matter what anyone says, we are going to like that given band/film/TV show. Much like I said in my comment on yesterday's post, that band for me is Phish. No matter how much my Dad and sister rag on them, I still love Phish. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it out of some latent teenage rebellious streak (I don't think I ever had one of those) but who knows?

The question is: What is that "thing" for you? Is it a band? Do you still know all of the dance moves to "Bye, Bye, Bye"? Are you still stuck to your couch in the afternoon to catch re-runs of Saved by the Bell? Will you fight someone who speaks poorly of Anchorman? This is it everyone. The time to let your neuroses be known to the world, or at least readers of this blog.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those amazing reddish skies are one of the things I miss most about Texas.. I have an irrational attraction to Survivor.. I love this show no matter how negative everyone else is about it.

 
At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seeing how you're the only premiership watcher in these parts do you know of any places pubs/bars that show the saturday morning matches by any chance?

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Anon. 12:56,

No I really don't know of any places that show the Saturday morning matches. Usually, the only good matches that I can watch here in Waco (with the cable package that I have) are Champions League matches. I was able to watch last week's 1-1 draw between Chelsea and FC Porto, but I'm not expecting to see anything else until the Champions League matches on March 6th and 7th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home