Friday, February 23, 2007

What I'm Looking for Cannot be Sold to Me

Congratulations to Mr. Cody Blair for correctly naming "Swallowed in the Sea" by Coldplay as the Thursday Song of the Day. I could be wrong here, but this might be the first time that Tuegel has not been the first person to identify Coldplay lyrics. What's the problem, Andrew? Is D.C. making you soft, or are you just a little too caught up in Grey's Anatomy? Either way, enjoy the spotlight Mr. Blair.

Since I'm starting to read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby in my spare time (whatever that is), I thought I would share one of the most honest, heartfelt passages from the book. If this doesn't touch some kind of nerve deep within your soul, well, you just might also hate Field of Dreams. Communist.

"There must be many fathers around the country who have experienced the cruelest, most crushing rejection of all: their children have ended up supporting the wrong team. When I contemplate parenthood, something I do more and more as my empathetic biological clock ticks nearer to midnight, I am aware that I am genuinely fearful of this kind of treachery. What would I do if my son or daughter decided, at the age of seven or eight, that Dad was a madman, and that Tottenham or West Ham or Manchester United were the team for them?"

"How would I cope? Would I do the decent parental thing, accept that my days at Highbury were over and buy a couple of season-tickets at Whiteheart Lane or Upton Park? Hell, no. I am myself too childish about Arsenal to defer to the whims of a child; I would explain to him or her that, although I would respect any decision of this kind, obviously if they wished to see their team than they would have to take themselves, with their own money, under their own steam. That should wake the little sod up."

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Andrew Tuegel said...

I saw yesterday's post and knew the title immediately, but wanted to wait as to not monopolize that Coldplay lyrics. I waited too long, as Cody had already named them. Also, sweet Henry poster. He has to be the greatest Frenchmen alive!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

i'm a huge Henry fan. the man is like a Gazelle (or John Mark Moudy)...long strides and graceful. i need to learn how to post you-tube videos--the highlights of him are unreal.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possibly the best passage ever. Pretty much sums up my feelings of how I would feel about my kids not following my rooting interests. If they do, screw them.
Austin

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I find it (not surprisingly) hard to relate. But I guess an appropriate parallel for me would be having a child who grows up unironically and soberly enjoying Jerry Bruckheimer and Peter Jackson, and thinking Old 97's are dumb. I would probably just set him free and the woods and leave him to survive on his own.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Dan,

That's it exactly. If one of my (possible) children think that Phish is an affront to their auditory sensibilities, that child will be summarily cut out of all wills, trusts, and holidays. I don't ask much, just don't break my heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home