Sunday, February 18, 2007

Gonna Take Some Time to Do the Things We Never Had

Congratulations to Mr. Ben Grant for correctly naming "Theme from the Bottom" by Phish as the Thursday Song of the Day.


Well, this afternoon I arrived back in Waco from my weekend in Abilene for Sing Song. My friend Patrick Vincent always says that "It's a great day to be a Gamma Sig", but yesterday was one of the best of those days. Appearing this year as Firemen, the men of Gamma Sigma Phi took home their 6th straight Sing Song victory. Even though Sing Song may be one of the most bizarre things that I was involved in during my time at ACU, and its appeal is almost impossible to describe to some people, it is incredibly satisfying to be involved in a winning tradition that began before I pledged and that has continued after I graduated.


There should be a video produced by Hutton Harris documenting this year's show coming in the near future, but for now a picture of Mr. Harris and I will have to suffice. Even though it was great to see my boys take home victory #6, it was even better to see so many of the people who mean so much to me. I still remember going to Sing Song when I was in high school and looking around at everyone talking after the last show until all hours and thinking, "Who are these people that just stand around in a coliseum talking to each other for hours on end?"

After the show last night when I was backstage talking to my friend Jenny Nofsinger, we realized that we had become those people. The people I came with would constantly try to pull me away to go somewhere, and when we would start walking, my friends would see someone else they knew and they would begin to talk. Those moments of community are etched into my memory. It seems that we are given those moments to carry with us through the valleys of life, to remind us of what life can be at its best.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It saddened me more than anything to be driving away from Texas as Sing Song was going on yesterday. Wish I could have been there to celebrate #6 with everyone.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Jimbo,

You, Coleman, and Patty were definitely missed. I'm not sure if you got to see any of this year's show, but I think it has risen to the Top Gun/Frogs pantheon. Let's just say that during the show there were people sliding down a fireman's pole on the stairwell beside the stage.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 in a row huh? It is a great time to be a Gamma. As good as Top Gun? Mmmmm. I will wait to see a videa before passing judgment.
-Ben Grant
"Africa" by Toto

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kizer said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiToPZ6O8L8

Wow! All I can say. That is up there with the best I'd say.

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
Thanks for sharing. Freakin' awesome.
-Ben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home