Monday, February 5, 2007

You've Done Your Part, Working Real Hard

Congratulations to Andrew Tuegel for correctly naming "(She Moves in) Mysterious Ways" by U2 as the Saturday Song of the Day.

I would also like to comment on Patrick's comment from Saturday regarding the choice of Prince as the Super Bowl halftime performer. When the NFL announced that he was going to be performing during halftime, my first thought was "The Artist? I mean, the symbol? No, the Artist formerly known as Prince...no, wait, he's Prince again, right?" Perhaps I am not the greatest pop music critic, I'll leave that to Klosterman, but Prince? Really?

As I was driving home from Dallas last night and talking with my friends Emily and Jake, Emily mentioned that almost all of the guys watching the game checked out at halftime. The Super Bowl is one of those events where everything works in this synergistic (if that's a word) manner. The game seems better if the commercials are good and vice-versa. The great halftime show from U2 in Super Bowl XXXVII was a perfect complement to the Patriots upset victory over the Rams. I'm pretty sure that Michael Jackson's performance at Super Bowl XXVII, coupled with a 52-17 Cowboys victory over the Bills, was one of the greatest nights of television that I have ever watched. I guess I was nine at the time. (Insert your own joke here).

It seems like the Super Bowl halftime show, while ridiculously over-hyped and largely irrelevant now, should only be the realm of those mega-super-duper-uber-stars who can really keep the attention of the world's largest TV viewing audience for the year. Who's on that short list? Well, we talked about it last night while watching the game, and my list looks like this: U2, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Paul McCartney, and.....well, that's about it.

Again, I'm not saying that these artists are at the top of their game, but it just seems like they can cut across the incredibly wide audience that the Super Bowl garners. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and I would love to hear the thoughts of readers of this blog on your suggestions for who would be a good choice for 2008. Just for clarification, I'm not talking about Hillary v. Rudy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I think Garth Brooks could probably fit on that list. There aren't many country artists who have reached out to as many non-country music fans without alienating country fans. I mean--he played Central Park. I agree with your picks, but I would add Brooks because of his widespread appeal and entertainment skills.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dixie Chicks and football fans love eachother. Just look at Dan Carlson.

Wayne Barnard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home