Friday, February 9, 2007

A Moon Full of Stars and Astral Cars

Congratulations to Mr. Jeff McCain for correctly naming "Superman" by Five for Fighting as the Wednesday Song of the Day.

I realize I'm writing kind of late tonight, but when the ideas are in my head, I have to write. The clock is inconsequential. I'm not really sure if the following is going to make a whole lot of sense, and if it doesn't, then I apologize, but here goes...

I'm really not sure why, but whenever I hear a certain strain of music from the Braveheart soundtrack, I get this odd kind of longing in my heart. No, it has nothing to do with Mel Gibson, but it has everything to do with some sort of restlessness in my soul. I wish I could describe the music to you, but for those of you who have seen the film, and I'm assuming that is most of you, it is the music that kicks in when Robert the Bruce announces that he is going to surrender to the English at the end of the film.

All together now....Hamish takes out Wallace's sword, the music swells, and the Scots run roughshod over the English.

Again, I'm really not sure why that music means so much to me, but whenever I'm listening to it, whether that happens to be in the library reading, driving in my car, or simply sitting down to write, I turn into Elaine's boyfriend on Seinfeld who becomes catatonic at the sound of "Desperado" by the Eagles. It is as if the world has suddenly stopped and I take stock of my life. I know that sounds terribly melodramatic, but somehow it is true. I just sit there and think about my life and ask myself these very deep questions about who I am and what I am doing with my life.

I think it could be very easy for me to dismiss this reaction as simply an overly sentimental reaction to a movie, but I think something big is going on here. How often do we really slow down and take stock of who we are and where we are headed? If a simple clip from a movie soundtrack can cause me to do that, I'm thankful for it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

how can you say that the cresendo of a fine piece of music is melodramatic? You can't.
I know exactly what you mean. There are parts of us that are meant to be alive, and it does not include shaving all the hair of my body, wearing a tie and hamstringing myslef buy wasting my time to buy cooler toys. Buy a fishing pole and fish for trout, buy a gun and shoot some clay, go for a 60 mile bike ride, love passionately the woman in our lives, read a book, write a book-- these are our lives. Those are the parts that deserve to be accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra-- everything else needs to be cut in the editing room.
Strength and honor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home