Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sign Up, It's the Picket Line or the Parade

Congratulations to John Middleton for naming "Out of My Head" by Fastball as last Thursday's Song of the Day and to Kalum Tuggle for naming "I'm Coming Home" by Robert Earl Keen as Sunday's Song of the Day. I have to stay on top of the Song of the Day contest now that Tuegel is out there trying to diminish my market share.




Well, the Big Tuna is out in Dallas. Many fans of "The Office" might be scratching their heads right now, but I'm not talking about Jim Halpert. I actually have to say that I'm pretty surprised about Parcells being the one to go instead of T.O. It seems like Parcells would have won that game of chicken with the prima donna receiver, but maybe Parcells really is as tired as he looked during the last month of the season.

The Sports Guy recently had an article arguing that 55 is the magic age for NFL coaches, and now that you see franchises like the Raiders and Steelers hiring new coaches who are in their early to mid-30's, this might be the prevailing wisdom in THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE.


In other news, the Oscar nominees were announced yesterday, and to my great shame, I have not actually seen any of the Best Picture nominees. I know that I'm going to have some commentary from Dan Carlson on this, but out of the following films, which ones are worth my time?


2007 Best Picture Nominees
  • Babel
  • The Departed
  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • The Queen
  • Letters from Iwo Jima

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Yee said...

I've only seen Little Miss Sunshine. It was cute and funny, but I was truly surprised to see it as a Best Picture nom. Although since you are apparently familiar with "The Office", you should go see it as Steve Carrell is the best one in it. However, I liked Children of Men more, which is dark and depressing and I'm not even sure if it was eligible for this year's awards. There's some weird rules about that, since it was overseas first. But yes, Little Miss Sunshine - good movie, won't win.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Children of Men is eligible for this year's awards; it's nominated for best adapted screenplay, best cinematography, and best editing. I think it's a pretty amazing film, and worth your time.

I still haven't seen Letters, but I'd like to, despite the fact that Paul Haggis co-wrote it, but he's a better adapter than director, anyway. The other 4 best picture noms are all good, and definitely worth seeing. Personally, I prefer The Departed.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm seeing Babel this weekend and will see Letters whenever it opens here, but I can promise you that the others are worth your time. I second Daniel on The Departed. There's nothing about it that isn't great, and I'm sure you'll love it. I also recommend Children of Men, which was my favorite film of last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home