Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mr. Mojo Risin'

Well, it's 23 years and 1 day, and I'm still alive, despite the apparent lack of enjoyment that is supposed to be associated with the age. I think that from my post and yesterday's comments, we were able to name 5 songs with negative lyrics about being 23. I'm pretty sure that's some sort of ignominious record, but I could be wrong. If someone wants to do the research on that, I would greatly appreciate it.


In other news...the Rangers have offered a minor league contract to none other than Mr. Sammy Sosa. The article does note that Sosa would represent a much needed right-handed bat to complement the left-side production from Wilkerson, Lofton, and Catalanotto. Speaking of good old Frank C., I bet he was the Scripps Howard Spelling Bee Champion in his elementary school. How could you not be with a name like Catalanotto? I digress.


Back to Sammy. President Bush once said that letting Sosa go so early in his career was his biggest career regret. I'm not sure that Dubya would say the same thing now, but that is a different story for a different time. The question with Sosa is: What does he have left?


It would be pretty unreasonable to expect the kind of production at this stage in his career that we saw in the halycon days of the late 90's/early 00's, but can Sammy provide a steady bat to a Rangers outfield that needs some production with the losses of DeRosa, GMJ, Kevin Mench, and Carlos Lee in recent years? I'm really not sure on this one.


Maybe he and Lofton can both sign up for one season passes to the juvenation machine, but that really seems like wishful thinking on my part. Perhaps the secret is just to lower my expectations so much that whatever happens seems like hitting the proverbial jackpot.


With that said, welcome aboard Sammy. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home