Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Workers Are Going Home

Congratulations to John Middleton for naming "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm" by the Crash Test Dummies as last Friday's Song of the Day and to Joey Halbert for naming "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters as Tuesday's Song of the Day.

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I committed one of the mortal sins of a sports fan on New Year's Day. Yes, my Dad and I went to bed at the end of the 3rd quarter of the Fiesta Bowl. Boise State was firmly in control and I did not really look like the game was going to turn out to be anything special. Imagine my surprise the next morning when I wake up to announcements that the game featured one of the all-time great finishes in bowl history.

I guess that's the equivalent of walking out of a movie in disgust and then finding that Gregory Peck rose from the dead to deliver an Oscar-winning performance or leaving a concert at the end of the show before finding that Jimi Hendrix was resurrected for a stunning performance of "Voodoo Chile".

You win some, you lose some, but at least the Sooners lost. That made my decision much better in retrospect.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

You never ever ever ever, and I mean never ever ever ever ever, leave anything early. I don't care how crappy it seems. You just don't do it. You wait til the end of the credits in the theater (yes--all the credits), and you wait til the final out in the 9th inning. We went to a Rangers game in August. Some rain came in the 6th, when the Rangers were ahead 6-0 over the Mariners. People started leaving. After the rain stopped, the Mariners scored 5 runs in the 7th and 8th. Nothing extraordinary, but it was a nailbiter until the 9th, when the Rangers put'm away, 7-5.

There is one exception: many thousands wish they had gone to sleep before the end of the fateful 2002 Baseball All-Star Game. You can forget that one, except for bragging rights to your kids. ("In my day, sports sucked; they didn't even finish the all-star game...")

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

"My Name Is Jonas" by Weezer?

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Justin, You just watch the wrong part of the game. I did not start watching until the end. I got to see all the good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home