Saturday, December 30, 2006

Take Your Pictures Down and Shake It Out

Ok, here goes...

It's probably a combination of reading through The World is Flat along with conversations that I have had with my parents, but the question on my mind over the past few days is this:

What is it about my generation that makes us turn websites like Facebook and MySpace into phenomenons and services like the blog you are reading right now one of the fastest growing modes of communication?

I think part of the answer is that we use these new modes of communication simply because they are available. I know that members of my grandparents' and parents' generations may have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to set up a personal profile on Facebook or to write on a blog, and maybe that is because they did not have those opportunities when they were my age. I'm sure that I will not understand some of the things that my kids will one day view as natural parts of the experience that is growing up.

Another portion of the answer is something that my Mom pointed out this morning. When members of my great-grandparents' generation moved away from home, they usually only communicated with their family through letters or the extremely rare phone call. When members of my grandparents' generation moved away from home, phone calls were becoming more frequent, but they simply cost too much to make them everyday. My parents' generation could make phone calls on a daily basis but there was still a large disparity between the cost of a local call and a long distance call. Now, my generation doesn't think anything of making phone calls on a daily basis (perhaps some parents who have paid for overage charges wish they thought more about it).

Here's the bottom line: My generation has grown up with almost no barriers to communicating with the world. Whether it be cell phones, blogs, or instant messaging, we are always in touch.

Well, those are just some thoughts on the subject, but in another one of the best aspects of the new technology, I get to hear what you think.

Here are some questions:

  • Why do you read blogs?
  • Why are you reading this blog?
  • Do you have a blog?
  • Do you use Facebook or MySpace?
  • Why do you use Facebook or MySpace?

I look forward to reading your responses. Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i read blogs because I like to know what is going on my friend's lives when I am not around.. and this blog you always make me think a little bit harder about things. I do have a couple blogs that I write in. All have their own purpose.. I have both myspace and facebook.. and it's to keep up mainly with those that I am not around anymore. I like to keep in touch with old friends and these services help me do that.
Happy New Year Mr. Scott. I hope it's your best yet!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Justin,
Earlier this week, I was unable to read your blog because there was an earthquake off the shore of Taiwan, severing several vital fiber optic cables that connect mainland China to Western servers. Don't even get me started on our over-dependance on the internet and electronics to survive. As developing as it is, the Chinese economy was slowed, as were news agencies, students illegally downloading copyrighted music and kept me from reading your blog.

-I read your blog because you have a unique voice have intriguing commentary on the things that pertinent to your life. I only stick to close friends and family though- I never blog surf.
-I have a blog- one for writing, one is a flash slideshow of my pictures on flikr.
-I use facebook lightly and begrudgingly, possibly from the thought of online stalking someone.
-I use facebook only on occasion.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you read blogs?
Depends on the blog. Some (mostly my sports blogs) I read for information. Others I read to keep up with people

Why are you reading this blog?
To keep up with you...I love you.

Do you have a blog?
Not anymore. I kind of lost the desire/time to put any real effort into it. I didn't want to turn into a once every other week blogger. Better to go all out than to do it halfway I guess.

Do you use Facebook or MySpace?
NO. I avoid things that other people love like my life depended on it. (See also: IM).

Austin

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Writing letters is for sissies! Muahhaha, long live the techno-social revolution!

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, great questions.

I read blogs to keep up with my friends. By "keep up," I mean to walk with them as they work through politics, social issues, entertainment, and funnier things as well.

I read yours for the reasons above.

I do have a blog. I keep it for a few reasons. First, I like to participate in all of the online discussions I have with guys like you, Hady, DC, etc.

I also write so that my friends can know me better, to make people think, to make myself think, and to get used to having my writing and opinions picked apart by anyone and everyone.

I have Facebook and MySpace. I got rid of Facebook for the summer but I got it back for school. It's just fun to look at everyone's pictures and comments and things like that.

I have MySpace mainly to find new music. MySpace has really changed the music business. It's so easy to hear new bands.

My Hero by Foo Fighters.

Joey

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read blogs and have Facebook because i live in Graham, Texas...i mean really Scotty J, what else am i gonna do? Thanks for the entertainment good sir.
Burg fo life,
Lance

 

Post a Comment

<< Home