Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Never Knowing I'd Be Singing this Song Someday

Jerry Jones needs to hire me as the official Dallas Cowboys good luck charm quickly. Apparently, before I began watching the game last night the Cowboys could only muster 7 measly points, but from the moment I waltzed through the apartment door, the 'Boys could do no wrong.

I think that might have been the most excited I have been about a pro football game in quite a while. I don't know if I want to jump on the Barry Switzer Memorial the "Cowboys are headed to the NFC Championship Game" Bandwagon, but I'm at least walking to the edge of the road.

In the past two days, Jarhead and The Tipping Point have both come in the mail. It's too bad I'm about 40% of the way through Plan of Attack. It's a good read, but it is always difficult to keep reading just one book when you know that there are other great ones on your shelf.

Here is a very insightful article from the NY Times Magazine about the upcoming Chronicles of Narnia series. Unlike most work that I have seen on Lewis, it does not do him any favors, but instead seeks to paint a stark picture of a man who might have written children's literature simply because he wished to escape his own reality, but isn't that part of what each writer of fiction does to some extent? We all have problems and issues with the way this world works and runs, and the pen or keyboard allows us to set things as we would wish them to be. This may be labeled as escapism, but that might just be one of the most blessed parts of the human mental capacity.

2 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin,

I'm going to go ahead and give The Tipping Point my seal of approval. It's pretty interesting to see how little things can have a big impact on society.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Heidi Le'Ann said...

I just really like that you read so much Justin Scott. That's really cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home