Sunday, October 9, 2005

Our Dreams and They are Made Out of Real Things


Well, the Red River Shootout was not exactly a barnburner, but it did feel pretty darn good. In my mind, the main difference between the talented UT teams of the past few years and the '05 edition is the leadership/passing ability of Vince Young. Those of us who have been watching Vince since his days at Madison High have always known that he was the best athlete of whatever field he stepped on, but this year he has added a precision passing element to his repetoire that has made the 'Horns offense move like a well-oiled machine this year.






With all of that said, the most impressive part of Vince's performance so this year has been the intangibles. The way that he maintained his compsure in the bedlam of the Horseshoe against THE Ohio State University to lead the offense to the game-winning score. The way that he breaks up fights between his teammates and the opposition and the way that he congratulates his opponents when they make a good tackle in the open field.

Each of these play into the success that the Longhorns have tasted this far, but if you were to ask Vince what he thought so far, he would probably tell that the road to Pasadena is a long one and it has not been paved just yet.

I'm pretty sure that I am not headed in this direction, but it is interesting to read nonetheless. I'm pretty sure that after reading this article my parents will change the locks on the house just to make sure.

Sometimes I wonder just how much punishment sports fans can take. Yes, I did watch the entire Astros v. Braves game this afternoon. That is six hours of my life I will never have back, but it was fun while it lasted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home