Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Swim Out on a Sea of Faces, The Tide of the Human Races


I have my own feelings about Tom DeLay, as I am sure that many of you do as well, but in a time when he needs all of the political goodwill that he can foster, I cannot help but believe that he could be handling his recent indictment better than he is. You can read the story from the NY Times here.

I am not a master of argumentation, but DeLay's comments calling Ronnie Earle a "partisan fanatic" and a "rogue district attorney" seem to be a perfect example of a "red herring" fallacy if I have ever heard one. I will be very interested to see how all of this turns out, but I cannot help but feel that DeLay is trying to shift the attention away from the facts to an attack on Earle's character because he has something to hide.

The "Sports Guy" and Chuck Klosterman continued their email exchange today. You can read the results here. I was particularly intrigued by their debate about the subjectivity of the debate over sports and music. Although there are still subjective aspects to the sports debate, there are a myriad of opportunities to use objective measures to enhance your position in sports related arguments of all types.

The subject of music is another story entirely. There is no way to objectively determine that The Beatles are better than Wham!, and you could argue about that point until you are blue in the face, but there is no way to "prove" your point, and that is part of the inherent beauty of music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home