Friday, September 9, 2005

Just to Hit the Ball and Touch 'Em All--A Moment in the Sun

As I we enter the end of the Rushing Season and begin pledging, I am reminded again of how thankful I am to be part of the Christian Brotherhood of Gamma Sigma Phi.

I could talk to you about winning the Intramural Softball Championship last night and how good it feels to sing "The Song" on the field afterwards, but I'll tell you about something that will last much longer than that.

Every Friday morning, I gather with 10-12 other guys to share in each other's lives. Despite late nights, heavy class schedules, and numerous other obligations that should make us treasure those extra hours of sleep, we wake up each Friday morning to see what God is up to in this world. When many of our friends are happily snuggled in their beds, we talk about the highs, lows, and everything in between that has shaped our lives.

Friday Mornings, as we have originally come to call it, along with other weekly traditions such as College Street Devo have become some of the cornerstone experiences in my college journey. As I have come into my own faith, I am beginning to find that body of people comprising my largest spiritual influences has grown.

In my childhood, my parents provided the strongest influences to the development of my faith and nurtured me as I became familiar with the story of God. In my adolescent years, that circle expanded to include Tim Henderson, my youth minister at Shiloh. As I came to ACU, and began to strengthen and develop my own faith, I began to look to my friends as spiritual guides.

One of the most amazing parts of my faith journey has been growing with other people who are finding their own faith at the same time. It is messy and it is not always pretty, but God is faithful. We question together, we learn together, and we hope together. It may not be the most direct path to where I'm going, but I would not trade it for the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home