Tuesday, September 6, 2005

There's Confidence in High Speed


Nicolas Kristof of the NY Times presents some striking points about what could be the outgrowth of America's outrage at the reaction and response to Hurricane Katrina's devastation.

Despite the despair that many have felt in the aftermath of Katrina, I have been heartened by what seems to be this "can-do" spirit from many of my fellow students. I have heard so many people asking the age-old question, "What can I do?" numerous times in the last week. The desire to ask that type of question flows out of an understanding that we have an obligation to reach out to those who are hurting and suffering in our world in whatever way that we can.

From the first day that I stepped on campus, I have begun to develop an understanding that I am part of something very special in this place. Few universities approach their mission with the certainty that ACU does. The continual striving to develop students who will ask the question of "What can I do?" is an intentional process. It does not seem natural for people to ask "What can I give?" or "How can I serve?" in what seem to be very desparate and dangerous situations. Nonetheless, I have witnessed numerous gatherings of students and staff to begin answering those questions. I think that in the coming days, there will be tremendous opportunities surrounding each of us.

Even though his struggle with cancer had been wide public knowledge, I was still surprised to hear of William Rehnquist's death on Saturday night. Throughout my life, he had been the one to swear Presidents into office and his steady influence will be missed in a what seems to be developing as a great time of transition in the United States. Here is a link to an obituary for Chief Justice Rehnquist that appeared in the Washington Post.

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a lot of ACU pride and might you be one that will marry an ACU girl and have ACU kids?? interesting really. I don't know that I ever pegged you as one of those. It is great that you feel so passionate about your school. What are your views on women's role in church? scripture to back it up? and instrumental worship?

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Justin said...

As I have said before, if you have a statement to make in the comment section, please leave your name with that comment. If you do not want others to see your comments or know who you are, please email me personally. I will be glad to talk with whoever left the above comment, but please contact me personally. You can find my email address on my Blogger Profile. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home