Sunday, August 28, 2005

I Remember All the Feelings and the Day They Stopped


I realize that I have not written in a few days. Sometimes the amount of reading that I am doing simply outweighs the amount of writing that I wish to do. I have really been jumping into The Trial by Franz Kafka for my Public Administration class, and The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt for my own personal enjoyment.

As I have been reading The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, I could not help but laugh at one portion of Morris' writing about Teddy's reading habits.

"'Reading with me is a disease.' He succumbs to it so totally--on the heaving deck of the Presidential Yacht in a cyclone, between whistle-stops on a campaign trip, even while waiting for his carriage at the front door--that he cannot hear his own name being spoken. Nothing short of a thump on the back will regain his attention."

I know that I am sometimes guilty of reading a book as I walk around campus, so I feel as though I can empathize with Teddy's total immersion into whatever he did.

For those of you who would really like to dive into an interesting article specifically about John Roberts' confirmation hearings, and more broadly about the future of constitutional issues in our society, read Jeffrey Rosen's feature in the NY Times Magazine right here. Rosen paints a picture of how technology and other issues will present a variety of interesting dilemmas for the Supreme Court and our society in the coming years.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since you figured out how to post pictures you sure do post a lot. I think that is a very sexy man in that photo though.. haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home