Monday, August 15, 2005

Globes and Maps are All Around


I'm not really sure why, but I have always been fascinated/disgusted by the urban sprawl that has arisen in the United States since the age of the automobile began in the early portion of the 20th century. Some of you might suggest that it was a natural outgrowth of my obsession with maps and that might be the answer.

Here is a link to an article in today's NY Times about the development of two "exurbs" in Florida. The most interesting aspect of the article in my mind is the lengths that people are willing to go to in order to achieve a sense of safety and space in their neighborhoods. Even though the traffic in Tyler is less than ideal these days, I have never lived in an area where the traffic patterns and length of commute were major concerns to those around me.

I know that all of you have probably been waiting with bated breath for the results of the "Roommate Invitational" a.k.a. the "Duel at Doc's." Aldon Wickliffe, with my excellent caddying I might add, won the shootout by one stroke over Jake Wardell. Nate came in a very close third due to a wayward chip on the 18th hole. The weather held for the first 9 holes, but as we headed to the back 9 the heavens opened up, and did not let up until play was completed.

I was incredibly impressed that 25 hardy souls stayed for the entire event. I wish I could communicate how hard and steady the rain was last night, but I'll just tell you that by the time we reached the last 3 holes, we had to scoop water out of the holes and squeegee the greens as the players were putting. I will also always remember singing "The Song" around the fountain at Doc's, and Jake's Shamu worthy leap into the surprisingly shallow aforementioned fountain.

Those kind of memories are what college is made of, and because of the experiences that I have been blessed to be a part of, I consider myself a very rich man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home