Tuesday, August 2, 2005

You Don't Do It on Purpose but You Made Me Shake


As I have been reading "God's Politics", Jim Wallis frequently quotes Washington Post columnist and Op-Ed writer E.J. Dionne. Dionne, along with Wallis, is one of the leading voices in the current discussion over religion in the public square. Here is an Opinion piece by Dionne on the level of influence that John Roberts' religious beliefs should have on his potential service at the Supreme Court.

It is starting to sink in that I am about to begin my Senior year of college. Perhaps some of the readers out there who are College grads could share your experiences and/or advice about your final year at College. People have always pointed to this experience as one of the seminal events of life and I guess I naturally feel a certain bit of trepidation as a I begin such a momentous event. Right now, it feels as though it is going to be this rapid, incredibly busy, and terribly entertaining whirlwind of events and memories and perhaps that is how it should be. The fact that it is also ACU's Centennial just adds to the anticipation I am feeling.

In this space I frequently offer plugs and praise for the writing of Bill Simmons, a.k.a. "The Sports Guy" on ESPN. com. Bill has done us all a tremendous favor by writing his first book. Simmons is one of the only writers that I can read and consistently laugh out loud. His combination of sports knowledge with more pop-culture trivia than anyone this side of Chuck Klosterman is a deadly combination. The subject of the book is of course his beloved Boston Red Sox, but thankfully Simmons stays away from the oft-repeated dirges to the "Curse of the Bambino." As soon as I walk out of the LSAT on October 1, I will head to the nearest bookstore for a copy of "Now I Can Die in Peace." Until then, I will survive on the Sports Guy Archive.

1 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

As usual, I find myself agreeing with David Sessions. Senior year will most likely be your busiest; the fall of my senior year was the most academically challenging semester of all. And all that work is good, and necessary, because you're going to be so focused on finding a job next May that graduation will become a blur of family, friends, and finals you barely study for. But it's important to take time to deliberately go out with friends instead of studying, and to not let anything pass you by. Look the year in the face and know it for what it is when you have it. That's all you can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home