Friday, July 22, 2005

We'll Fill In the Missing Colors In Each Other's Paint By Number Dreams


I am not sure how many of you would like a closer look at the past legal opinions of John G. Roberts, but if you would enjoy some kind of indication of how he might rule in the future, here is a great article from the NY Times providing analysis on his work on the D.C. Court of Appeals.

Current Listening: "The Next Voice You Hear" by Jackson Browne.

After a fantastic dinner at Harvest Moon, where I was almost demolished by a Dodge Ram driven by an incredibly oblivious woman as I walked to the restaraunt, we watched Mystic River over at the 'Burgh. I'm not going to give a Daniel Carlson caliber review here, but each and every time (3 as of last night) that I have seen the film, it has shocked and surprised me in equal parts. The twists and turns of the plot are down right Shakespearean, all the way down to the vow of vengeance that Jimmy Markham (Sean Penn) pronounces over his daughter's dead body.

I was actually very surprised that Sean Penn's victory in Best Actor and Tim Robbins' triumph in the Best Supporting Actor category were the only Oscars for Mystic River. I think "Return of the King" is a very enjoyable film, but the level of acting, storytelling, and pathos in Mystic River was unparalleled that year.

In case I have not told all of you yet, the University received a letter from President Bush communicating that he will not be able to attend the Opening Ceremony this year. I know that some of you are very disappointed by this news, while there are others who are not exactly the most ardent supporters of the President. No matter which side of the debate that you fall on, I think it would have been incredibly historic for the University to have a sitting President of the United States attend the Opening Ceremony for such an important year in the University's history.

4 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Mystic River and Lost in Translation were the two best films of 2003, and miles better that The Return of the King. Glad someone else out there agrees.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Carlson I watched Boys in the Hood (Boyz in Da Hood?) the other night for the first time. What do you think of it?

I liked it a lot, but I'm pretty fascinated by that time and that place so I might be a little biased.

John Singleton is directing a video game of a similar theme starring Snoop Dogg.

What do you think about video games as an artistic medium? I'm all about comic books and video games as social commentary and maybe even art. Why not? Fresh modes of story telling.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

PS Justin I am obsessed with this blog and its surrounding hoopla.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I'm always glad to do a little song and dance Joseph.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home