Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Every Chance that You Get is A Chance You Seize


Last night as I was standing on Crutcher Scott Field watching the fireworks go off, I could not help but think that Ray Charles' version of "America the Beautiful" should be our national anthem. Give it a listen and see what you think. If you don't know which song I am talking about, think about the part of "The Sandlot" where they are playing baseball by the light of the fireworks on the 4th of July.

I saw a statistic yesterday that Americans consume 150 million hot dogs on the 4th of July. This is an impressive stat, but I know of one Japanese citizen who ate 49 yesterday in a 12-minute span. Yes, that's right, Kobayashi ruled once again in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest. You can find the story here. The thing that I find truly amazing, or perhaps disgusting, is that the top two finishers in the contest weigh 144 and 105 lbs. respectively. It would take about four of Sandra Thomas, who finished second, to equal one Eric "Badlands" Booker whom she defeated. If anyone can explain how that happens, I would love to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home