Thursday, June 30, 2005

I Feel Emphatic About Not Being Static


I wrote a little bit about the NBA draft yesterday concerning Andrew Bogut's dining preferences, and if you noticed, Andrew must be a blog reader because he wrote in to answer the questions that were on everyone's minds. Thanks Andrew. Hopefully with a career of hard work you can become the next Vlade Divac. If things go poorly you could be the next Jim McIlvaine, but I won't torture the Seattle Supersonic readers (Dave Sessions) too much by bringing those memories up.

The Sports Guy laid out another one of his outstanding running diaries for this year's draft. You can find it here. That's enough about the NBA Draft, now onto Tom Cruise vs. The Martians....

A bunch of us went to go see "War of the Worlds" last night and I was pretty impressed. I guess I should not be surprised because the last time that Spielberg let me down was "A.I." but the movie really drew me in. Tom Cruise's character Ray is quite the unlikely hero, and in retrospect, he does do so much to fight the aliens as he fights his inner demons that tear at the estranged relationships that he shares with his children.

The most shocking aspects of the film are not necessarily the wanton destruction that the invaders wreak up mankind, but the kind of barbarism that arises in large groups during times of crisis. For some reason, I was not horrified by the lasers that vaporized the residents of New York as they attempted to escape as much as the desperation that was demonstrated by individuals as they fought for control of vehicles and limited resources during the mass exodus caused by the attacks. Perhaps Spielberg was trying to tell us that in times of crisis and catastrophe, the greatest threats to our survival are internal and not necessarily ones that arise from circumstances beyond our control. His ability to craft a feature film from the manuscript of H.G. Wells is a tribute to Spielberg's visionary qualities and abilities. I would encourage everyone to go see the movie, which is one of the first that I have seen in a long time that did not disappoint me as I walked out of the theater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home