Sunday, June 26, 2005

I'm Like a Bad Penny, I Keep Turning Up

No song lyrics for the title of today's post. The title is drawn from the illustrious film "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade." Indy was always one of my favorite movie characters and I actually think I remember telling my dad when I was little that Indiana Jones was my #2 hero behind him.

We had a special showing of "The Last Crusade" tonight over at the 'Burgh and it allowed me to do some thinking about the whole hero worship that I felt between my dad and the fictional character Indiana Jones. Sure, when you are young your parents can do anything. Your Dad is the strongest, smartest, and best looking guy in the world. If anyone is sweeter than your mother, you would not believe it.

Somewhere along the road we become perceptive. Those World's Strongest Man Competitions on ESPN debunk our myths that Dad is not the strongest, and we sometimes have to face Mom's wrath. Does this mean our entire dreams and perception of our parents are broken? By no means. Instead, I think it leads to an even greater perspective. We are able to see our parents' faults and strengths and to respect them for what they have been through and what they have overcome for our sake instead of just looking at them as the Ozzie and Harriet of our life. I have always learned more from those who have passed through the fire than those that have lived the life that has never been tested.

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bud, just got back from dave's wedding which was a great weekend--wish you could've been there, but i know you're doing the Lord's work in a-town and holding down the fort...

i just read all your posts from this past week b/c i was out of town, and they really spoke to me. i love hearing other people talk about investing ourselves in God's story that is happening all around us, and doing what you love to do instead of what you had to do. that's where i am in my life right now, so i appreciate your input and honesty into this area. thanks for blessing me today JS...

c blair

p.s. if nashville were a category on jeopardy then cole griff would be world champion! no doubt...

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

My boss has caught me looking at sports guy three times in the past five workdays and he saw my facebook picture. I expect to clean out my desk shortly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home