Wednesday, July 6, 2005

No Love, No Glory


Is there anything as close to an oligarchy in the United States today as the Supreme Court? Think about it for a second. These nine women and men have the power to shape the policies and legislation that governs our nation, but they also operate on a system of lifetime appointments, so that they may make decisions in an independent manner without fear of reprisal.

I was only 7 years old when the last truly contentious Supreme Court confirmation hearings (Clarence Thomas) took place so I guess I do not have any idea of the extent of the questioning that will, and should, be given to potential Justices. Due to the already heightened level of political polarization that already exists in our nation, it seems that almost anyone of President Bush's nominees will face significant opposition, and this is not only from the Democratic side of the aisle. The President is reportedly looking at approximately 12 potential nominees, some of whom are well known such as Al Gonzales, J. Michael Luttig, and J. Harvie Wilkinson, and others such as Edith Jones and Emilio Garza, who are only now coming into the national spotlight.

Current Listening: "O" by Damien Rice.

I am really looking forward to a vacation with my parents next week. I am particularly excited about my Dad teaching me to fly fish. I have always wanted to learn ever since I read "A River Runs Through It" earlier this year, and this was the first opportunity. I always enjoy finding something new that my Dad and I can do together. In high school, we found that we shared a mutual love for cycling, and that served as one venue where we could interact to a greater degree, and perhaps fly fishing will serve as another vehicle to bring us closer together. It will also be very nice to escape the heat of Abilene for a week in Colorado. I have never been to the Rocky Mountain National Park/Boulder area of the state and I am really looking forward to seeing sites such as Longs Peak and the Flatirons. Speaking of "A River Runs Through It", some people have said that my Dad looks a little bit like Tom Skerritt, who plays the Rev. McLean in the film. If that is true, then I must hold some resemblance to one of the sons in the film, most likely the one played by Brad Pitt.........

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude - my dad looks exactly like tom skerritt...i grew up with his comparisons to "the instructor from top gun". are we brothers?

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Rock 'n' roll J. Michael Luttig. Actually I know nothing about the man other than the fact that he hails from Tyler. More proof that Tyler belongs at the center of all world news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home