Sunday, July 31, 2005

You Gotta Chase a Dream, One That's All Your Own


Whew! I don't know how the Leadership Camps Counselors do that all summer. After spending one week as a Group Leader at the 4th Session Kadesh, I am wiped out. Although it is that feeling that you have after you have been part of something that you know is holy and incredibly worthwhile, so maybe I do have some sort of understanding of what drives the counselors all summer.

I have been reading "God's Politics" by Jim Wallis since last weekend, and although the week at Kadesh severely cut into my reading time, I was able to sit down yesterday for a good while with the book. I really think Wallis has caught the vision of something that is sorely needed in America, which is some sort of alternative to the grid-locked two-party system that currently exists. He suggests that Christians can lead the way by providing a "fourth option." (This includes the Libertarian viewpoint in addition to the Conservative and Liberal camps.)

Wallis writes, "I believe there is a "fourth option" for American politics, which follows from the prophetic religious tradition we have described. It is traditional or conservative on issues of family values, sexual integrity, and personal responsibility, while being very progressive, populist, or even radical on issues like poverty and racial justice."

This speaks directly to my current situation regarding political affiliation. Portions of the platforms from both parties appeal to me, but other portions present significant roadblocks to my support. Wallis' vision of a new option excites me in a way that I never felt regarding possible political involvement for Christians who wish for their faith to inform all aspects of their political life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home