Tuesday, August 9, 2005

I've Been Dying To Tell You Anything You Want to Hear


At the end of my run today, the rain began to pour down. As I ran down 10th, I had a few cars honk at me as if to say, "You would be a lot smarter if you weren't running up this street in the rain", but I've learned that some people will never understand unless you know what it means to get out each day, suffer a little bit, and know that you have been cleansed.

I was very surprised to hear about Peter Jennings death when I woke up yesterday morning. Jennings was always the news anchor that our family watched before the meteoric rise of the cable news networks. He looked much younger than 67, but perhaps I remember him younger, because I remember myself younger when I watched him every night. Which anchor did your family watch for the nightly news?

We know stand at a very interesting point in the history of news coverage. As the cable networks continue to gain prominence and the influence of bloggers rises, as evidenced by the Dan Rather/National Guard fiasco, what will the place of the "Big Three" be in news coverage?

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

It was Peter Jennings for me as well. We would put him on for a few minutes before we ate dinner. Then, I would turn off the tv so we wouldn't have any distractions during our family time. I hardly watch the news any more: if I want to catch up, I surf on the DrudgeReport for a few moments. I guess we will see what happens.

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Jennings for my family as well. We watched him every single night before dinner, or sometimes during dinner, so often that I feel like the opening song to ABC Nightly News is one of the many soundtracks of my life. (Along with the Saved by the Bell theme :). Is it weird that as my mom and I watched breaking news that he had passed away I almost cried? Peter felt like part of our family...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home