Wednesday, August 3, 2005

When You Get What You Want But Not What You Need


For all of the Coldplay fans out there, the video for "Fix You" premiered yesterday. You can check it out here. There have been so many people that I have come in contact with since "X and Y" debuted in early June that have absolutely fallen in love with the album.

My Dad and I disagree about the rock and roll merits of Martin, Berryman, Buckland, and Champion. He regards the decade of 1965-1975 as the "Golden Age" of rock and he is probably right. He is slow to categorize Coldplay as a rock band alongside the likes of The Who, Zeppelin, and others of that era.

I continually point out to him that my view of what is rock and roll has been shaped by the leading bands that my generation has followed. For my Dad, everything made sense from the perspective of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and the bands which followed them across the Atlantic in the "British Invasion." For my generation, we have grown up with the largest band in the world as U2. The number of bands in the world today who draw influences from the Boys from Dublin include Coldplay, The Killers, and Kings of Leon. Due to the mammoth success of U2, my entire understanding of the paradigm of rock and roll has been shifted from Jimmy Page to Bono.

In my continuing mission to provide you, the reader, with the latest information on John Roberts' nomination to the Supreme Court, here is an article summarizing Roberts' responses to a series of written questions by the Senate Judiciary Committee.

5 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger TKP said...

Now you can visit my blog whenever you want Justin. Make sure you comment so I can see you stopped by! Arthur rocks!

Teresa

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

When I think of a true rock and roll frontman, I think Chris Cornell, not Chris Martin.

I respectfully agree with your dear ol dad.

I was made by rock and roll,
Joseph R Halbert

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

I will be well pleased with my SA president if he can remember what OMC stands for.

Long live our next pope.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Joseph,

The answer would be Otara's Millionaires Club. It could also be the Ontario Multifaith Council, the Offshore Mediterranean Conference, or Online Map Creation, but I'll go with the first one.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

By the way Justin I do want to say that I'm really looking to seeing Coldplay live and I am saying in advance it will be one of my all-time-favorite shows. Coldplay is something special.

Parachutes will always be in my top ten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home