Sunday, April 10, 2005

Let Me Take Some of the Punches For You Tonight

If you are a Rangers fan, don't you already get the scared feeling that if we have had this many problems with the bullpen through 5 games, this might be a recurring problem down the road? I really hope I am wrong about this, but we shall see.

Siggie Formal was a lot of fun this weekend, and it was good to go with such a good friend like Briana. She and I have known each other for so long, and we have been through a lot of different experiences. The ride in the pace car was pretty sweet, and as we were going through the turns (banked at 24 degrees!) I was already getting some pretty significant G-forces pushing me down, and then I looked at the speedometer and realized that NASCAR drivers probably go through those turns at twice the speed that we were traveling. I would lose my lunch.

Current Listening: "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" by U2

As Joey and I were walking out of IJM Chapel the other day we began talking about this idea that everything is tied together by love. We were not talking about saccaharine sweet, Valentine treat kind of love, but this thought of genuine shared humanity that drives people to do amazing things for other people. I know that this idea of self-sacrifice and love has been on my mind for a long time, and as I have talked with Joey and read his blog posts lately, it seems that he has been thinking about it for a good time as well.

In another area, during two or three separate conversations this weekend, the speech that Damon Parker made in Chapel recently came up in discussion. I am not sure what this means exactly, but I do know that it made a much more significant impact on listeners than almost all of the other speeches that we hear in Chapel. Did he have to step on toes to do this? Probably. Did he have to go out on a limb and really challenge people on some of the things that we don't like to be challenged on? Yes. I know one thing, I am glad that people are thinking about social and economic justice in a place like ACU. If there is any place that should be concerned with justice, it should be a Christian university.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home