Thursday, April 7, 2005

I Was Followin' Through On a Letter You Sent

Each morning, after I take my shower, I come and sit at the computer and check the headlines on the NY Times and the Washington Post websites. As I am skimming down the pages, I will often look at the editorials on each site and at the other articles not quite notable enough to be headline worthy. I was just looking around the Post this morning when I came across this gem.

It's an article about a suburban music school that is mainly targeted towards pre-teens, except these kids are not channeling Bach, Stravinsky, or Copland, but Zack de la Rocha and Billy Joe Armstrong. I am not sure if members of bands like Rage Against the Machine and Green Day would love the fact that their songs are being covered by kids that haven't even hit puberty or if they feel as though they have lost some of their edge. I'm not sure, but I hope you guys enjoy that article.

Current Listening: "Dizzy Up the Girl"- Goo Goo Dolls

One of the things that I have talked with a lot of people about through my time here at college is the way that we as the church have often confused what is minor with what should be major. People in a hurting and dying world don't really care about the little squabbles that we get in about how we "do" church. Someone sitting under a bridge each night, not knowing where their next meal is coming from, does not really care if women pray in church or if someone raises their hands or claps during a song. The things that care about concerning the church are: Do we love as Jesus loved? Do we reach out to the sick and hurting? Have we come to seek and save the lost? Do we value the things that God values or do we play by the rules of the world?

I'm not sure what you guys think about this, but I would love to have a discussion on how what we can do to better be Christ's hands and feet in the future.

2 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Good point, Justin. I guess Christians squabbling about doing church makes as much sense as Oprah giving the starving kids teddy bears instead of food. Oh, Oprah.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for pointing that out. That's something I've struggled with ever since I moved to the midwest...and I'm glad to know someone else feels the same way! Forever #11...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home