Monday, April 18, 2005

I've Got Soul, but I'm not a Soldier

It seems that posts on weekends have become increasingly rare. This semester has probably been the most enjoyable that I have had so far in college, but also one of the busiest. Next weekend will probably be the first one since before Sing Song that I have not had anything to do, but you never know.

Insanity for Humanity was an incredible experience. I am still trying to recover my sleeping equilibrium. That will probably be a very gradual process that will take a few days. The critical point for me came after my second 4 hour shift. It ended at 10 a.m. on Friday morning, and represented the completion of 1/5th of the game. At that point, I realized that softball was becoming very monotonous and I still had 22 hours in which I would be on the field. As I tried to sleep in one of the tents in "Shanty Town", I decided that the only way I was going to make it was by breaking the game into each shift that I would play and rest. When we regularly go through our days, the idea of 60 hours or days does not seem impossibly huge, but when those sixty hours are filled with the same 3 tasks: eating, sleeping, and playing softball, they become daunting.

I know that there are moments in the game that I will never forget, and I have an incredible bond with guys like Shane Spencer, Jordan Gay, Danny Echols, Cole Griffith, Jon Bruner, and Kevin Stone that we will share for a long time. The only bad part was that since only two groups could be on the field during a rotation, we really only got to hang out with half of the guys that played. When the other team was on the field, we had obviously filled our personal need for watching softball, so we either slept or hung out with people who came out to watch. Jeff and I were talking about the fact that we both played in the game, we were both on Team Humanity, but that we were never on the field at the same time, and had to be reminded that each of us played. If anyone was wondering about the final score: Team Humanity won by the score of 729-568 over Team Insanity. Cody Blair is the winner of the contest with a pretty good guess of Team Humanity over Insanity by the score of 678-615. Congrats Cody, you win a signed picture of me playing the game in my flight suit.

4 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotty J-

All I have to say is "100% whole wheat bread".

-Griff

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't download a hit...

kizer

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger TKP said...

Justin,
I LOVE that Killers song! Actually, the whole CD is awesome. I'm glad you had a great time with the softball game. Yay for IJM awareness week!

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously...send me that picture...i've never one anything before...congrats on the game man...take hope, share it, and be blessed...

c blair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home