Tuesday, November 2, 2004

You be Around and I'll be Square

Mark Hamilton began to plant the idea in my mind during the Life and Teachings of Christ course I took during my first semester here at ACU. He emphasized that a university was not simply a place where we come chase after letters on a page. It is a place that first and foremost is a free market of ideas and thoughts. We should not be told what to think, but we should be told to take thinking seriously. Everyone comes to college with a myriad of experiences that have shaped who they are, and we have the opportunity to learn from each other.If we come to college and simply seek grades, then we will leave disappointed, and will have missed the greater purpose in our time here.

Today in Early Political Theory we did not talk about Plato, Aristotle, or Augustine, but we tried to flesh out some of the political storms on the horizon for the United States. Who will be a bigger foe for the United States in coming years, the EU or China? How many justices will the next President appoint to the Supreme Court? What are the prospects for the United States moving towards a social welfare state like Sweden? Questions like these are the ones that excite me about future career in political science. If I were able to sit in a classroom and hear students express their views on these topics, and I were able to give insight through study and scholarship, I would go to work everyday and never view it as a chore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home