Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Manny-Fest Destiny

My friends, the apocalypse is nigh. The Boston Red Sox are one win away from the World Series Title and the sun is about to turn to blood. Thanks to a fantastic performance from Pedro last night, 86 years of pain and disappointment could be wiped away. Let's win it for Buckner, Grady Little, and the Yaz. One of my favorite writers is Bill Simmons, a.k.a. the Sports Guy, from ESPN.com is a Massachusetts native and a diehard Red Sox fan. Here is his column today about the current state of affairs in Red Sox nation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041027

If I have not talked to you lately, you might not know that I am running the Austin Marathon in February. It is on February 13, which all ACU folks know is the infamous "Moody Weekend." Sarah will be running the half-marathon and I will be running the full enchilada, all 26.2 miles. Sunday was my longest training yet, 16 miles. When you run for 2 hours and 5 minutes straight, you begin to learn things about yourself. You know where your mind goes when you experience pain. You know how hard you will push up hills and difficult spots. That is why running a marathon is more than just a 26.2 mile footrace. It is an exploration of the mind and body. It flies in the face of instant gratification and quick victories. You put in 16 weeks of training, and you run almost 700 miles in preparation for one race on one day. It teaches subordination in order to reach a goal. If you want something badly enough, you will alter the way you live to achieve it. Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians Chapter 9 when he compares our Christian journey to athletic training.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get a prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." I Corinthians 9:24-27

What are you in training for?

Adios,

Justin

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, I am always amazed at your focus and your ability to communicate and transfer that to other people. Your talk tonight was so great, and touched many people, including myself. I have so much respect for what goes through your mind, and I honestly see that play out in your life, even when you think you're not at your finest hour. Character is more than "highs" and "lows" - and, as Eddie Norton says, it's something you can't have until you know your regrets. Thank you for being a real person for all of us.

Sarah

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

J Scott -

Deep stuff about getting ready for your race. It's actually pretty inspiring. Alter the way you live to achieve what you are going for. I like it.

xoxo,
Joey

PS You should've been in the Westover picture on Pumpkin Night. You are in it in spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home