Monday, October 25, 2004

Baseball is the one constant, Ray

It has been amazing how this postseason in baseball has everyone talking. I guess it was the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the Red Sox/Yankees series, or the fact that Houston made the NLCS, but people are talking about baseball. As I walked into Section C for chapel last Wednesday, I counted at least 4 Red Sox hats in our section. Now I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone in our section has been to a Red Sox game or might not even know what the Pesky Pole, but the dream of erasing 86 years of pain has galvanized a broad spectrum of people.
I guess I am starting to wax philosophical about baseball because I began reading Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer on Sunday. Many regard it as the best book ever written about baseball, so we will see how it responds to those lofty accolades. The opening sentence of the prologue is very poetic. Kahn writes, "At a point in life when one is through with boyhood, but has not yet discovered how to be a man, it was my fortune to travel with the most marvelously appealing of teams." Kahn is a native of Brooklyn and followed the Dodgers during their heroic-tragic years of the early 1950's. The Dodgers finally won the Series in 1955 over the hated Yankees behind a 7th game 2-hit shutout from Johnnny Podres.
On a different subject, is anyone confused about the weather here in Abilene? I guess the one thing I have learned in my years here is that the unpredictability is the one predictable thing. I am thankful for the opportunity to go to bed with a rainstorm as a soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home