Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Men Walkin' Long the Railroad Tracks, Goin' Someplace There's No Goin' Back

Realizing that it has been two LONG, LONG weeks since new words have been written in this space, I realized that I would be doing myself and the rest of this band a disservice if I didn't jump back on the ol' blogging horse* ASAP.

Yesterday was the first pay-day since starting the job, and for someone who has been operating in the student realm for the past twenty years (that's 80% of my life for those of you scoring at home), I almost had the following conversation with the person handing me my check:

Me: So, you mean I can keep this?

Co-Worker: Yes.

Me: And if I take it to a bank, they'll make my account a bigger number than it is right now?

Co-Worker: Yes.

Me: And there will be more of these in the future?

Co-Worker: Sure, payday is twice a month. The 15th and the 30th.

Me: Only in America. Only in America.

Co-Worker: What does any of this have to do with America? You know people get paid in other countries, right?

Me: I don't know. I've just heard Don King say that a bunch.

*In case you were wondering, that horse's name is Patches. Be sure to feed him some apples when you see him.

Current Reading

Rabbit, Run by John Updike

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

What?? You go away for two weeks and come back reading fiction??

I didn't know what to do with my first paycheck either. I actually couldn't find my bank account number . . .

Finally: an iambic pentametric couplet for you:

I've given up on baseball for the year.
The Rangers disappoint me every time.

And with that, my friend, keep an eye on those Texans. Yahoo! picked'm to win the AFC South.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Justin said...

I have come back reading fiction, my friend. I don't think it will ever displace non-fiction in my heart, but I read enough non-fiction as it is during the course of work.

The Rangers have broken my heart, too. I think that last night's 1-hit shutout might have sealed the deal.

Finally, the only way I'm keeping my eyes on the Texans is to see them hurtling past my window after last week's free-fall against the Jets.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

What is "paycheck"?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Justin said...

It's a piece of paper with numbers on it.

It's basically like Monopoly money, only people get mad when you throw a "paycheck" in the air when you land on Boardwalk for the 3rd straight turn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home