Sunday, May 31, 2009

On the Day He Lost His Life, That's All He Had to Lose

Congratulations to Mr. Joey Halbert for correctly naming "Crosstown Traffic" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience as the Friday Song of the Day.

Question of the Day:

Justin, I'm searching for a seriously disturbing geographic simile in an otherwise excellent piece of writing. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Sure. How about the following sentence from pg. 545 of William Manchester's American Caesar: Douglas MacArthur 1880-1964?

Korea hangs like a lumpy phallus between the sprawling thighs of Manchuria and the Sea of Japan.
I thank the sweet, sweet Lord that my geography teachers never used that descriptor the Korean Peninsula. It doesn't mean that my thoughts of Korea won't be tainted from this point of forward, but it does mean that I was able to avoid that mental trauma up until now.

Ah, the ignorance of youth.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Pope said...

That reminds me of the Colbert Report coverage of the early Republican primaries... He was making the point that Mitt Romney won Michigan because the state is shaped like his name, and that to win Florida, Giuliani should change his name. Then he said something to the effect of "I'm certainly looking forward to hearing from Mayor Dangleschlong." I just about lost it.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Did Alan or I ever tell you about how our program at good ol' HP of U was named for the American Caesar?

He did?

OK. But I sure don't "American Caesar" was half as good as "Remembrances" . . .

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Jeremy,

I think one of you informed me of that at one point or another. Who knows, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home