Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Cretins Cloning and Feeding, and I Don't Even Own a TV

"I Dream of Denver" by David Brooks

The Pew Research Center just finished a study about where Americans would like to live and what sort of lifestyle they would like to have. The first thing they found is that even in dark times, Americans are still looking over the next horizon. Nearly half of those surveyed said they would rather live in a different type of community from the one they are living in at present.

Second, Americans still want to move outward. City dwellers are least happy with where they live, and cities are one of the least popular places to live...

Cities remain attractive to the young. Forty-five percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 34 would like to live in New York City. But cities are profoundly unattractive to people with families and to the elderly...

Third, Americans still want to go west. The researchers at Pew asked Americans what metro areas they would like to live in. Seven of the top 10 were in the West: Denver, San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, Portland and Sacramento. The other three were in the South: Orlando, Tampa and San Antonio. Eastern cities were down the list and Midwestern cities were at the bottom.

Although Brooks did not address this in his column, I was, with a little wrangling, cajoling, and yes, outright bribery, able to obtain the release of the bottom three cities in the polling conducted by the Pew Research Center.

Here's what I found:

#7,345: West Memphis, AR

#7,346: Lubbock, TX

Let us not beat around the bush: Lubbock sucks. You and I have no love for Lubbock. Often, and this is just one man?s opinion, I could be wrong, I think Lubbock has about as much appeal as lard-fried Vienna sausages served in a pool of warm goat spit.

#7,347: Detroit, MI

This city has not always been a gentle place, but a series of events over the past few, frigid days causes one to wonder how cold the collective heart has grown.

It starts with a phone call made by a man who said his friend found a dead body in the elevator shaft of an abandoned building on the city's west side.

"He's encased in ice, except his legs, which are sticking out like Popsicle sticks," the caller phoned to tell this reporter.

Ladies and gentlemen, G.O.B. Bluth may tell you that "the jury's still out on science", but the fact that those cities are at the bottom of the list is a fact as immutable as Pluto's status as a planet.

Wait, what's that?

Pluto's been downgraded?

Okay, forget you read any of this.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

STEVE HOLT! The song, I believe, is none other than Harvey Danger's Flag Pole Sitter. The video features a monkey at the very end. I like to call it "Flag Pole Sitta".

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Ryan Searcey said...

Speaking of Lubbock, you should give us a detailed analysis of the Mike Leach situation. Today was the deadline I believe. Any thoughts?

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Justin said...

As much as I would love to comment on the future of the "Blackbeard of the 806", I don't know enough about the situation.

I'm deferring that analysis to one of the Lubbock-residents that will read this. Yes, that means you, Lance Agan.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I think the song actually is called "Flagpole Sitta." Those dorky white guys making their rock music and trying to be cool . . .

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Messrs. Halbert and Masten,

You are both right. A primate is present at the end of the video, and the actual title of the song is "Flagpole Sitta" rather than "Flagpole Sitter".

Ah, 1998. What a year.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger lance said...

Scott,
Feel free to never refer to me as a Lubbock resident again, a'ight? Thanks. While I do live in Lubb, it won't be for a day longer than mine, and the wife's degree plan, require.
As far as the Leach situation, what the H do I know? The only jucy info I've been able to obtain is that the board or regents (or whatever they're called) are using this fiasco as a way to possible relieved Gerald Meyers of his duties as AD. Stay tuned, I guess, but don't count on me to give a hoot.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Justin said...

That, ladies and gentlemen, is your BITTER comment of the day.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

2 comments:

1) My parents lived in West Memphis, TN shortly after graduating from Harding. My dad was doing graduate work at UT Memphis and they were poor. They lived in a trailer park which literally means they lived in a trailer down by the river in Arkansas.

2) I have in my possession two tickets for a Phish concert on 6/21/09. Too bad I will be there and you will not.

3) Yes I know I said 2, but things changed. My word verification is "fichmen" similar to Fishman, as in Jon Fishman, the drummer for Phish. Coincidence? I think not.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Katrina,

Two questions:

1. Did they leave near a gentleman named Matt Foley?

2. Does that coincidence, ahem, sign entitle you to backstage passes for the concert on June 21st?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home