Thursday, February 12, 2009

Before They Turn the Summer Into Dust

For those of you who know me well, you probably know that I have a moderate to severe man crush on Bill Simmons, but today the Sports Guy really outdid himself.

In his annual "NBA Trade Value" column, Simmons presented to the world the following video featuring the immortal (due to the fact that he's an alien) John Tesh performing "Roundball Rock", a.k.a. the NBA on NBC theme from the 1990's.

Just watching the video took me back to the days of Bulls-Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals, Marv Albert's toupee in its middle years, and countless showings of "Entertainment Tonight".

There's one thing that I think the Sports Guy got wrong with his video analysis, though. At the 1:17-1:25 stretch of the video where Simmons thought that Tesh was playing "air piano", I think that Yanni, Jr. is actually doing something closer to "air dribbling" of a basketball. I'm not Marcel Marceau here, but I think that's pretty close to how a mime would dribble a basketball, also assuming that the mime has an assist-to-turnover ratio comparable to that of a drunk Gheorghe Muresan.
I apologize to Billy Crystal and Big Gheorge for that last comment.

Current Reading
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

Billy Crystal is the one who owes you an apology for that movie.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Andrew Tuegel said...

"Wake Up" by the Arcade Fire

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Austin said...

That song reminds me of a Sunday afternoon Celtics/Pacers game at Market Square Arena. Classic.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Would it have killed Tesh to have put a sample of Marv Albert saying, "Ewing from the baseline...YES!!!"?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger IMV said...

Let me know what you think of the Road - I read it a few months back.

-Middleton

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Justin said...

John,

After finishing the book, I can now rest easy knowing that we'll be spared at least one "Feel-Good Movie of the Year" blurb in 2009.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I just want to review my monumental ignorance . . .

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Let's play nice now, Mr. Masten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home