Friday, January 30, 2009

Soak It In While You Can, Winter is On

Congratulations to the lovely Ms. Amanda Pierce for correctly naming "Bring It on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke as the Thursday Song of the Day. I was actually listening to the Van Morrison cover of the tune when I decided to pick it as the Song of the Day, but as much as I love Morrison's version of the song, let's be honest, it begins and ends with Sam Cooke.

The version I linked to above is outstanding but has a very, very long intro, and this is coming from someone who likes Phish. Sam and the band get it kicked up around the 2:30 mark, so if you're operating on a fast version of the interwebs, you can just skip there and forget I ever told you all of this.

Speaking of great covers...who actually took a song from someone else, made it their own, and played it so well that you often forget who did the original?

Here's my list of Top 5 Covers (in no particular order):
  1. "All Along the Watchtower" --Jimi Hendrix (original by Bob Dylan)
  2. "Gin and Juice"--The Gourds (original by Calvin Broaddus, ahem, Snoop Dogg)
  3. "Hallelujah"--Jeff Buckley (original by Leonard Cohen)
  4. "Hurt"--Johnny Cash (original by Nine Inch Nails)
  5. "Boys of Summer"--The Ataris (Don Henley)

I can already hear my father's pained cries about my selection in position #5, but my pick of the Ataris' take on Henley's tune is not an indictment of Henley, but a recognition that the Ataris took the song to the next level.

Imitation, as they say, is the most sincere form of flattery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger ALV said...

I agree 100% with numbers 3 through 5 - and I have personally caused physical pain/emotional torment to many Henley fans by forcing them to listen to (the far superior version by) the Ataris. :D

I submit for your consideration (and this may be dangerous - aren't you an Oasis fan?): Wonderwall - the Ryan Adams version. It totally screwed me over in a Rockband round where I couldn't sing the original for the life of me, but I sure do love me some Ryan Adams.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger ALV said...

Hurray, I'm back again. I thought of this b/c he also has a great (but not Jeff Buckley level) cover of Hallelujah - but I adore Rufus Wainwright's cover of Across the Universe. Please understand that I am a massive Beatles purist, and I will always start out hating any Beatles cover just on principle, but this... this absolutely rocks my world. For once on a Beatles cover, it doesn't feel like someone is straining to make their own voice heard... it just IS his version, and it's amazing.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger ALV said...

1) I hate you.
2) I'm not procrastinating, I just love covers.
3) This is the last one, I promise.


Time After Time - Quietdrive. You may recall this from the trailer for some horrid prom-themed horror flick not too long ago. I squee'd like the emofangirl I am and downloaded it immediately.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Justin said...

ALV,

I completely agree with the pick of the Wainwright cover of "Across the Universe". The only reason it's not on the list is, well, I forgot. Sorry.

As far as the Ryan Adams cover of "Wonderwall" goes, when I hear the song, I don't think to myself,"Man, this is a great, great song", which it is, but I'm always thinking about the Oasis-version as well.

All of the other songs that I put on here are the versions of the song that I hear when someone mentions the title. Perhaps it's just because the Adams cover is relatively recent, and it has not had the requisite time to grow on me.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I want in I want in I want in

I just wanted to say that I despise the Don Henley version of "Boys of Summer." It gives me creepy pedophilia vibes. He was perfect for "Hotel California," but other than that . . . eh

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

For your consideration:

Social Distortion cover of "Ring of Fire"

Sorry for the late commit- unbelievable week

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Tim,

I can definitely agree with "Ring of Fire" by Social Distortion.

Also, no apology is needed. You've been spending your time doing stuff that's much more important than commenting on blogs, and I mean that with all sincerity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home