Monday, April 21, 2008

This Is One Scene That's Going to Be Played My Way

Congratulations once again to Mr. Jeremy Masten for correctly naming "Dream On" by Aerosmith as the Sunday Song of the Day. Jeremy, I have to agree with you that "Dream On" represents Aerosmith's finest work and found its best use (in my opinion) to date in this ESPN SportsCentury "Greatest Moments" montage. "Dream On" begins around 1:37.

You see videos like that all the time on YouTube now, but I can still remember when this video premiered on ESPN in late 1999. In my 15-year old brain it was the greatest thing of all-time, narrowly besting the worthy contender of the nearly-fulfilled promise of a driver's license and a 1991 Toyota Camry with 100,000K+ miles.

I came across a the following story in the NY Times today, and the call to action is impossible to ignore, my friends.

Recently in Dallas, more than an hour before game time, Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, was in the locker room grinding on the Stairmaster, surrounded by several reporters — their microphones deployed, heads tilted away to avoid flying droplets of sweat.

A reporter for The Dallas Morning News, who writes a blog, asked Mr. Cuban about a bruised Dirk Nowitzki, referring to the star power forward as a “warrior” for his willingness to play while injured.
“We’re not trading him to the Warriors,” said Mr. Cuban.

“Bloggers might make that point.”
The comment was a bit of word play, but it illustrates how Mr. Cuban, a prolific blogger himself, feels about some of the bloggers who cover his team.

Last month Mr. Cuban sought to ban bloggers from the Mavericks’ locker room, but the National Basketball Association intervened, ruling that bloggers from credentialed news organizations must be admitted.
Mr. Cuban then decided to let in any blogger — “someone on Blogspot who has been posting for a couple weeks, kids blogging for their middle school Web site or those that work for big companies.”

"Tension Over Sports Blogging" by Tim Arango of the New York Times.

You realize what this means, don't you?

I'm calling on The Blahg, Slowly Going Bald, The Jig and Twig, Osler's Razor, Living and Loving in Natal, Brazil, Prosso Speaks, Magnificent Vista, Alico Dreams, Chapter 2, Lovin' Life, Urban Cowboy, Yee of Little Faith, and everyone else out there in Blogfrica: Let's call Mark Cuban's bluff. I cannot wait to waltz into the Mavericks' locker-room while simultaneously introducing myself to Dirk Nowitzki as the Editor-in-Chief of Running Down a Dream.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger ALV said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG MEEEEEEE. Road trip tomorrow!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I'm glad somebody recognizes my legitimacy as a news source. It's about time.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

I guess somebody's got to fill the Ombudsman role. Here am I, send me.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

"Mr. Cuban, Devin Harris was awesome. My dad thinks Redacted sucked. Also, do you think you'll be alive the next time Dallas makes it to the second round?"

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Sammie said...

Do iiiiit!!!

and I also agree that Dream On was definitely Aerosmith's best work

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

I'm in. I need to learn the rules to this "basketball" thingee, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home