Friday, April 18, 2008

I Spoke Your Name for Many Days

Congratulations to Mr. Ben Grant, the newly-minted resident Phish expert round these parts, for correctly naming "Twist" by Phish as the Friday Song of the Day.

Once again, I prove to be quite the homer for another First Ballot Hall of Famer...

Current Reading

The Fifties by David Halberstam

Also, in the season of graduation ceremonies and commencement speeches exhorting graduates to go out and do whatever it is that people do when they graduate, I thought that the following video was appropriate. Halberstam's address to the Tulane University Class of 2003 is about 26 minutes long, but it is one of the more honest and insightful commencement addresses that I have heard.



Speaking of which, when I was about five years old, our family attended the high school graduation of a family friend. The East Texas-centric readers of this blog will appreciate the fact that the commencement speaker that evening was none other than Mr. Bo Pilgrim of Pilgrim's Pride Chicken. If there is anything that is more troubling to a young child than a clown it is probably a pilgrim.

Just ask Professor Osler.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Ben Grant said...

Mr. Scott. Thanks for the recognition. Of course, the title for this post also comes from Twist. Hope your semester ends well dude. We are almost 2/3 done!

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Yee said...

"The Fifties" is one of the very, very few non-fiction books I've both read and enjoyed. Being a girl, I think, helped me enjoy the chapters on gender, sexual liberation, all that - I don't think I would have ever been the June Cleaver type. :) And surprisingly, I remember the fast food/motel chapter being very interesting. I might have to go back and read that book again now - it's been several years.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Perhaps even more troubling to Prof. Osler is that this Pilgrim used to carry around a stuffed chicken (as in taxidermy) named Henrietta to public appearances.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

Alan--

Actually, the chicken was stuffed with ham, and covered with gorgonzola. It was both terrifying, and fattening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home