Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Don't Touch Me, I'm a Real Live Wire

Congratulations to Mr. Peter Pope for correctly naming "Supposed to Be" by Jack Johnson as the Tuesday Song of the Day.

I realize that all of the warning signs are there (Phish fandom, 4/20 references, and posts about Bong Hits 4 Jesus), but this blog and its author are, and always have been, marijuana free. With that said, there's one more point about the Morse case that I wrote about last week that bears mentioning.

Prof. Civil Liberties informed us that when the Supreme Court granted certiorari on Morse v. Frederick, a substantial number of the justices on the U.S. Supreme Court had no idea what the words "bong hit" meant. As I have stated previously in this post, I have no personal knowledge of the intricacies of such an event myself, but it absolutely blew my mind that some of the greatest legal minds in America had no idea what the phrase "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" might entail.
Granted, the phrase is nonsensical, but it seems that the intense focus necessary to sit on the highest court in the United States also renders one oblivious to the continuing evolution of drug slang in the culture at large.

Other shocking admissions from Supreme Court justices:

  • Associate Justice Stephen Breyer: "When is Nirvana putting out another album? This Cobain guy is really falling behind."


  • Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg: "I'm thinking about buying property in El Dorado, Texas. Seems like a quiet place with normal folks."


  • Associate Justice Samuel Alito: "I think Isiah Thomas just needs a shot with another team with more cap space."


  • Associate Justice Clarence Thomas: "(Silence)."


  • Associate Justice David Souter: "Paul McCartney? Never heard of him."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Blogger Alan said...

That's truly one of the funnier things I've read.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

Oh, Clarence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home