Monday, October 29, 2007

From the Churches to the Jails, Tonight There is Silence in the World

Those of you who know me well are aware that the music of Phish holds a special place in my heart. For those of you that don't know me well, that's not because I'm a closet (or open) pothead or aspiring to become a hippie ne'er do well, but because whenever I listen to Phish, I hear the notes that are being played, but more than that, I hear the sheer joy that the four members of the band receive from doing something that they love.


One of my favorite pictures of Trey Anastasio features him not looking into the camera or at the audience, but up into the lights, simply lost in the moment. Some of you might argue that look is a result of Trey's substance abuse, and you might be correct, but I think it's something else.

It's the look of someone who has no concern for posturing or posing. All he knows is that the music is taking him to a place that nothing else can and he is merely along for the ride.

I don't come across those "looks" very often, but in my recent foray into the world of Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, I came across this clip of "Jungleland" from the Hammersmith Odeon concert in 1975.

If you choose to watch the clip (which I highly recommend, otherwise I would not have taken the time to place it in this precious space) just watch Bruce when Clarence Clemons kicks into his famous solo. It may appear a bit more contained than Anastasio's reaction when the music takes over, but it's the same thing and that's why it's special.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Of course it is Jungleland for the song of the day. Did you recognize the drummer?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Tim,

The only possible answers to your question are Chuck Norris and Max Weinberg based on the beard. I'm going with Max, but let's just keep that between you and me so Chuck doesn't get upset.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home