Monday, November 5, 2007

Wear It LIke an Iron Skin

Congratulations to Mr. Dan Carlson for correctly naming "Long Black Veil" by Johnny Cash, Dave Matthews Band, et al. as the Friday Song of the Day.

My deepest apologies for not writing the past two days due to the phenomenon known as law school finals as I am sure it caused a great disruption in each and every one of your lives. Yesterday presented one of those great ethical dilemmas that most people hope they will never have to face in the time that they walk down this path that we call life. I found myself facing the great decision between enjoyment and responsibility when I was forced to choose between watching the Pats/Colts game followed by the Cowboys/Eagles matchup or studying for my Consumer Protection final. I'm sure I made the more prudent long-term decision by choosing the latter, but I think a little bit of my spirit died yesterday afternoon as I spent more time focusing on the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act than breaking down the Cowboys' 3-4 defense.

I've always enjoyed this blog the most when it has been an interactive medium, and to tell the truth, if this outlet doesn't give me a better opportunity to connect with friends and family, what is it other than high-tech navel-gazing?

With that said, I'm taking this post to solicit your opinions on books that have meant something to you and would be worth a slice of my time. Granted, it's not as if I have an unending supply of time to read anything that I wish, but I often get the idea that there's an entire world of great literature out there that I have not been exposed to simply because of the sheer volume of it all.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Alchemist
Post Secret

J. Ronald Halbert

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ines of my Soul if you want a long historical based novel taken from Spanish.

And Secret Life of Bees was pretty dang good and is an easy read.

I'm going to read Redeeming Love, too, because everyone is always talking about it.

This Side of Paradise and The Sun Also Rises are 20th century classics. And personal faves.

Still me.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Yee said...

I miss reading for fun. When I do have the time, I tend to read things that I've already read because of the distinct possibility that I might not be able to pick it up and finish it in the near future.

I'm going to suggest "Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way" because a) Bruce Campbell is the greatest and b) the book is hilarious and takes hardly any time to read at all. Unlike "Mr. Norrell and Jonathan Strange", which is 900+ pages long and which I got for Christmas last year and still haven't finished. It's been good so far though. I just haven't picked it up again because I fear that I'll have to reread the 700 pages I've already read.

I've also stolen Jon's present from my mother called "I Will Soon Be Invincible" which is so far like The Incredibles for adults and in book form. Again, haven't finished it, but it's good so far.

From my quiet blog-haunting, I know that you enjoy historical accounts and such though. So you probably want to ignore everything I've said so far and read the only historical account that I've ever personally been drawn into - "King Leopold's Ghosts". Notice I didn't say I enjoyed it, because it's hard to enjoy a book about the mass genocide of a nation by a Belgian king. But it is fascinating and makes no apologies for the monarch, unlike many books about the wanton slaughter of innocents.

Congrats on actually studying - I'm resisting T&E's call at the moment as the length of this comment suggests. :)

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

I just opened up the can of worms that is Rand's Atlas Shrugged. The invitation to join is open.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

www.pulitzer.org

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

Ron McLarty's The Memory of Running

David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again

Enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home