Saturday, January 29, 2005

I Know What I Know, I Don't Wanna Stay

How many times do I have to see something before I begin to take notice?

This past fall, I began to change my plans of what I wanted to do in graduate school. For a long time I wanted to go to law school, but I was not very sure of the type of law career that I wanted to pursue. When I went to the IJM Prayer Conference last Valentine's Day Weekend, I was convinced that I had found the legal avenue that would suit me best. At that time, I was working at the McMahon law firm here in Abilene. It was a good job, but the subject matter was what turned my dreams away from law school. I realize that some people's personal injury claims are honest and serious, but it seemed so trivial and petty to quibble over money in car wrecks and supermarket slip and falls. I quickly grew cynical of the legal profession and decided that I would turn my attention elsewhere.

I began to become interested in a potential career as a professor, diplomat, or government analyst by pursuing a master's and doctorate in political science or government. I began looking at potential schools and becoming very interested in that potential path, but there was always this faint yet persistent voice calling me to a career in human rights.

As I have previously written, I recently began reading Gary Haugen's book "Good News about Injustice," and I will be attending a conference next week at Pepperdine called "Lawyers, Faith, and Social Justice." Maybe I am just stubborn and it takes a long time for these things to get through, but this seems to be such a noble calling and so close to the heart of God. As I read about situations in foreign nations such as Sudan and Peru about genocide and great injustice, I realize that I could make a difference there if I use the gifts that I have been blessed with.

"The future was wide, wide open."

1 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Lori said...

You are the only person I know with a blog who posts more than once every two weeks, and I felt bad that you haven't received a comment all week, so I'm leaving you one. I'm glad you're starting to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life, but could you help me out and tell me what I'm supposed to do with mine? You've got a year; I've only got until May. Seriously--find me a job! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home