Wednesday, January 19, 2005

We Can Walk Together at a Regular Speed

Last semester I wrote (I refuse to use the verb blogged) about the Early Political Theory class that I was taking. It was really the first philosophy class that I have ever taken, and it caused me to stretch and grow as I began to contemplate the real meaning of words like justice and power, and what those look like in a society.

Dr. Hailey taught Early Political Theory course last semester, and he is my favorite professor at ACU. When I heard that Dr. Hailey was going to be on sabbatical this semester, I immediately wondered who was going to be teaching the Theory course this semester. That task fell to Dr. Dillman. I have nothing against Dr. Dillman, but he is not Dr. Hailey, nor should he be. I was not really sure what to expect when I walked into class the first day, but I have really enjoyed class.

Dr. Dillman has done an excellent job of allowing us to feel the weight of the issues that we are working with. One of the best ways to encourage people to learn things is to allow them to become owners of ideas. Dr. Dillman did a great job today of simply stepping back and letting the class carry the discussion about Machiavelli and virtue. What is virtue? Are there actions and deeds that are intrinsically good or is it all about the motivation that is behind them?

These questions about human nature are what make political theory so interesting. I am able to see the current political situation in an entirely new light because I have been exposed to the bedrock of our system. This is what college is about, and I am glad to be along for the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home