Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Crazy as Rockets, Where's Your Magic Wand?

I felt very industrious today. I was able to sit down and pump out a paper for Business and Professional Communication, do 5 case briefs for Con-Law tomorrow, run 9.5 miles, attend the Team 1 (Aka Papa Burt) basketball game, and sit down and write this blog. What a full day.

On Monday, Jeff Giddens asked me to speak at the College St. Devo tomorrow night. I am looking forward to it, and I love when I can use the material from my classes when I share at Devo. It makes the text seem so much more relevant when I can pass it on to people who are not even in the class, and I can make it real in their lives. I was able to think about what I am going to say while I was running today, and it is really funny how some of the most bizarre things can come together in my head to form some sort of whole. Let's just say that tomorrow night I will attempt to intertwine Che Guevara, Thomas Hobbes, and Jesus. Wish me luck.

I was just messing around today on the internet, and I decided to check up on some people that I went to high school with, to just see what they are doing these days, and I found something very interesting. Travis Chick was the only kid that ever made me scared when he went up to bat during Little League. Travis hit the ball so hard, you almost felt sorry for it. When we were younger, his greater talent was found in the batter's box and not the pitcher's mound, but in high school that began to change. He became an all-district pitcher who had tremendous control and a power fastball.

After we graduated, Travis was drafted by the Marlins, and played minor leauge ball for them for these past 3 years. It seems that a few days ago, Travis was traded to the San Diego Padres for the formerly big-name pitcher Ismael Valdes. I was reading the scouting reports, and they said that if Travis does well in Triple A, he will probably get a call up to "The Show" during this season. It is always exciting when someone you know makes the big time, and it also helps that he always said I could be his agent when he was making the big bucks. Come on Travis, I am waiting for the call any time now....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home