Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm Here Eating Up the Boredom on an Island of Cement

The Dean of University Libraries sent out an informative email earlier today regarding library protocol and procedure for study time during undergrad finals later this month.

The assorted Baylor Libraries will feature:
  • Areas classified as “nature film narrator quiet.” What does that mean? If you need to talk, do so in hushed tones; find somewhere else for group study; and if your cell phone vibrates, please take it to the lobby to have your conversation.
  • Areas designated as “monastery quiet” study space. We’ll do our best to patrol this floor, but please feel free to politely “shush” your neighbors when we’re not around.
  • Areas for individual and collaborative study. Please be respectful of others and help us keep it sort of “nice restaurant quiet” in those spaces so everyone can get their work done.
I'm not sure where the "nature film narrator quiet", "monastery quiet", and "nice restaurant quiet" taxonomy was established, but I'm fully in favor of it.

If we're using this system, the main floor of the library at ACU would have been classified "Main trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange" quiet, and the entirety of the Baylor Law Library would be classified as "Continue speaking loudly and I'll invite you to wear concrete shoes into the Brazos" quiet.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 4:11 PM, Blogger Cris said...

Single greatest post EVER on Running Down a Dream. You may have just made my week...and given that it's the 1st of May, I'll go ahead and say you made my month. Seriously...if I were the type of person who used "LOL" I would totally use it right now.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Cris said...

(but I'm not)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Sammie said...

haha! At least they were creative!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

So I've noticed there haven't been any song of the day winners since Searcy broke my streak. But I'm keeping out while the Rangers keep winning. (Did you see Ponson's start today? Who is this guy? How soon will Jon Daniels trade him for another power-hitting catcher?)

By the way, I think BLS should hand out tazers so we can utilize self-help when people don't get that libraries are quiet. And by "people," I'm including fancy diners.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Cris,

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I had no idea you were a huge fan of library humor. It's definitely a niche market.

Sammie,

I agree. The creativity is always appreciated.

Jeremy,

You are correct, sir. We've gone into a bit of a drought with the Song of the Day, but if the Song of the Day contest is inversely related to the Rangers' success, I'm okay with an extended dry stretch.

Ponson is a bit of a journeyman that pitched for a number of years with the O's before making his way to Arlington.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

The library seemed verrrrrrrry quiet today. Well, until I went in and made a ruckus.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

Undergrads come to our library during finals and we all hate hate HATE them. They even steal things! They steal, man. I either put in earplugs (courtesy of Student Affairs) or I study from home now. I almost killed a guy with a statutory supplement because he was eating Funyons and it was really loud and smelly.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

PS I'm a jerk during finals.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Death by statutory supplement! Just make it the Tax Code or the UCC. The other ones are too flimsy.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Ben Grant said...

Or the Uniform Probate Code...that would be applicable...

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

I heard they're going to route the Homecoming parade through the ACU library next year.

p.s. I'm in the library right now and I just read your whole post aloud. Someone asked me to speak up.

p.p.s. the word verification below is "mbaee"...like mabee, our freshmen dorm. there is a god.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home