Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It Don't Take No Sherlock Holmes to See It's a Little Different Around Here

Excuse me, everyone, I have an announcement to make...

It's safe to come out, my friends. (After today), the Liverpool F.C. posts are done until...at least late July/early August.

I know, I know. The disappointment may be too deep for you to speak right now.

Sometimes, when the things you love come to an end, you must soldier on the face of adversity. When things grow dim and the way looks bleak, just remember the resilience of the mouse that fell into that tub of cream, who, instead of accepting his impeding death, defiantly chose to churn that cream until it turned into butter.

Okay, you've got me, folks. This story has nothing to do with mice, nothing (hopefully) to do with the excessive use of cliches, and everything to do with experiencing disappointment from something as ultimately meaningless as sports.
Despite a great effort today at the always forbidding Stamford Bridge, the Reds lost to Chelsea 3-2 and 4-3 on aggregate to crash out of the Champions League. Meanwhile, the Blues advance to face Manchester United in the inaugural All-English Champions League Final on the 21st of May in Moscow.

Despite telling various friends earlier today that I would stoop so low as to root for the "English Evil Empire", I've actually changed my mind. I'm rooting for the meteor.

Yes, that's right, the definitive stroke over the course of the two matches was the own-goal scored by Liverpool's John Arne Riise, but hey, I'm not throwing the guy under the bus or anything. Speaking of which, how many times has the phrase "threw him under the bus" been used in the last 48 hours after the latest Obama/Rev. Wright dustup? My apologies for the digression.

As a sports fan, it's often difficult to remember that disappointment really is the normal state of affairs. As they say, only one team's season can end with a victory, but that doesn't mean that millions of us don't get much too excited about something that will almost certainly end in a letdown.

Sure, Liverpool have won the European Cup/Champions League 5 times, the English First Division/Premier League 18 times, and the F.A. Cup 7 times, but technically, they've lost the First Division/Premier League over 90 times, the European Cup/Champions League 48 times, and the F.A. Cup over 129 times.

Sheesh. You would think that by placing my allegiance with one of the only remaining Major League Baseball teams to have never even played in a League Championship Series I would have learned how to deal with this "LOSING" type thing, but if I've learned anything in 24 years of being a male, it's how to have a selective memory.

Now that I look at that last paragraph, I realize how depressing it is, even for Finals week.

Friday cannot come soon enough.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger John said...

Don't worry buddy. You're not alone as I'm also pretty much upset about the resultt.

I was really hoping that they would do it again. But not this time.

http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com/2008/04/no-ticket-to-moscow-for-masche.html

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Justin said...

John,

You're not the particular John that I expected to see commenting after this post, but I was also disappointed that Masch, along with the rest of the squad, are not headed to Moscow.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Pope said...

Situations like these make me wish that it was possible for both teams to lose in the final. Especially since they're vying for the Premiership also.

Ugh.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props for handling this result with style.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger IMV said...

I guess since you're handling it so well, I won't post the smack-talk scoreboard comment. There were two well played games all around. Don't feel too bad about the own goal - at least it clearly crossed the line. If you can find it within you to at the very least root against ManU, even if you don't pull for Chelsea, we'll welcome your support. Otherwise, see you next season.

You do know, though, with Hicks as your owner you're never going to get any good pitchers...

-Middleton (the other John)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home