Friday, February 1, 2008

A Voice Inside My Head Said Don't Look Back, You Can Never Look Back


[Setting: Mid-town Manhattan outside of the NFL Offices]

Member of Immanuel Bible Church (Springfield, VA): Commissioner Goodell, excuse me, sir, Commissioner Goodell, excuse me.

Roger Goodell: [Turns around quickly] Yes?

Member of Immanuel Bible Church (Springfield, VA): Commissioner, on behalf of Immanuel Bible Church in Springfield, Virginia, I want to invite you to our annual Super Bowl party where you can watch the big game on a six-foot screen. Six-feet, Roger! That's larger than the sub sandwich you and Bill Belichick just polished off after discussing what to do about Spygate.


Roger Goodell: Six-foot screen, you say? Hmmmmmm.


Member of Immanuel Bible Church: Yes sir, and all the pizza you can handle.


Roger Goodell: Gee, I really appreciate the offer, but I just think I'm going to have to decline.


Member of Immanuel Bible Church: Why's that, Rog? As I said earlier, I know you love subs. We can scrap the pizza order for subs.


Roger Goodell: Well, it's not that, although I do love subs. It's just this copyright thing.


Member of Immanuel Bible Church: What copyright thing?


Roger Goodell: Well, our lawyers tell me that the NFL has a policy banning public showing of games on TV sets or screens larger than 55 inches, which puts you about 17 inches over the line.


Member of Immanuel Bible Church: Well, what about the sports bars with huuuuuge screens?


Roger Goodell: [Moves hands in same motion as Rob Schneider in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York when asking Kevin McAllister for a tip]


Member of Immanuel Bible Church: I see, Roger. No need to rub it in, dude.


Roger Goodell: Well, see you around. I've got to get out to Arizona for the game. All this time near Yankee Stadium has really been freaking me out.

"NFL Pulls Plug on Big-Screen Church Parties for Super Bowl" by Jacqueline L. Salmon of the Washington Post.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

Henley slow clap for the National Football League. SUPERBOWL SUPERBOWL SUPERBOWL take that NFL.

The song is the Boys of Summer. I am partial to the Ataris cover. Sadly, I don't know who wrote it.

I say Pats by 17. I'm putting it out there. If I'm wrong, I'll take my verbal beatings like a man.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger IMV said...

Following up on prosso's comment, I believe that Don Henley (of Gilmer fame) originally sang the song. I'm not sure if he actually wrote it, but I figure that's a good guess. Mr. Walker would be proud.

-Middleton

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Sammie said...

yeah, it would be Don Henley of Eagles fame. I go to school with his nephew!

 
At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually mr henley is from the big city of linden,texas. dad

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger IMV said...

Born in Gilmer, raised in Linden - I'm sure he would claim Linden, though. My bad.

-Middleton

 

Post a Comment

<< Home