Monday, July 31, 2006

Thank You Nick Hornby

After purchasing The Plot Against America by Philip Roth, The Brethren by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong, and High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, I began reading High Fidelity this afternoon at the Abilene Starbucks.

I'm not exactly sure why I chose High Fidelity, but the following excerpt confirms the greatness of the book.

"People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands-literally thousands--of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don't know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they've been listening to the sad songs longer than they've been living the unhappy lives."

5 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Spencer said...

ouch. im a big music person...that one hurt but it is an exellent point

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Aubrey said...

I think that is maybe my favorite quote from what may be my favorite book. I just reread it for about the 20th time. You should also read Feverpitch his memoir about being an obsessive English Football fan.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I cannot get my email account to work on this Mexican computer I wanted to let you know that Dad and I are having a good week on our medical mission. We saw over 250 yesterday and about 200 today. Please call your sister and tell her we said hi. Hope you are enjoying being back in Tejas mi hijo. Mom

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Glad you are back in Abilene, J Scott. How long until you move to Waco? It's gonna be fun, bro...get ready.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Heath Huston said...

blog is back....spread the word

 

Post a Comment

<< Home